We love our early spring in north Texas when Dallas yards come alive with color from blooming tulips, daffodils and more. Spring flowering bulbs are that winter investment that pays off in the spring. You do need to plan for that delayed gratification as bulbs need to be planted in the early winter, typically the mid to late December timeframe for the Dallas area.
1. Pick the best bulbs. Choose spring-blooming bulbs such as tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, allium and muscari from a reputable nursery. Squeeze each bulb gently to make sure they are firm. If the bulb is not firm, it may not produce many (if any) blooms.
2. Pick the right day to plant. Choose a warmer day to plant your bulbs, preferably when the ground is not frozen, and plant a day or two after you’ve purchased them. These spring-blooming bulbs can be planted up until mid-January.
3. Pick a place. Choose an area of your garden that gets lots of sun and has well-drained soil.
4. Prepare. Be sure to work a few inches of compost into the soil before planting.
5. Place. Make sure to plant your tulips about 2 to 4 inches apart. Set them in clusters instead of rows because you’ll want to see them bloom together, not individually. Remember to plant generously, as some of the bulbs may not sprout.
6. Plant. Follow this basic rule for planting your spring-blooming bulbs: Plant your bulbs at a depth of three times the bulb’s circumference (the width of the bulb). For most tulips and daffodils, that’s about 6 inches.
7. Water. Immediately after you cover your bulbs with good garden soil, water generously.
8. Fertilize. After planting, apply high nitrogen fertilizer.
9. Mulch. Use mulch to keep the weeds out and the moisture in
Or you can place a single phone call to Splendid Gardens and let us design, install and maintain your spring bulb display!
Splendid Gardens provides professional landscape services to Dallas and surrounding cities in North Texas. We take great pride in delivering customized services to each client. Our experienced teams provide a variety of services including landscape design, installation, scheduled maintenance services, custom flagstone and redesign of existing landscapes. We actively give back to the community by volunteering our services to local projects in need.